Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Day Three: NYC

We started off day 3 in magnificent Central Park. We were all left speechless. Most of us had been there before but this time we really explored it and took time to just take it all in and we were in awe. My mom especially loved it. It was so gorgeous but it was also the stark contrast between the concrete city and the lush, whimsical nooks, gardens, fountains and bridges that we found most intriguing.

Almost all of the really beautiful shots taken are by my talented sister Aimee, and if they are not from Aimee, they are from my Dad, and if not my Dad, they were a mistake!!! But they get all the credit, I just fooled around with their pictures a little bit.
One of my most favorite and magical things to do is to walk down a path, beneath an umbrella of trees. It creates a more perfect archway than any man-made I've ever seen. Am I alone is this?


Don't you just want to jump through the screen and stroll down this path, excited to see where it takes you? I do. (But pack your gloves because it was FREEZING!)

This bridge must have come right out of a dream.


The girls hanging out in front of the outdoor ice skating rink...talking about one of our all-time favorite romantic comedies that takes place here..."Serendipity".

The sweet couple.
Okay, so we all wanted a turn...you would too!

So Charming.



There is the Plaza in the background. Where the garden ends and the concrete begins...


Ok, so what would you do if you walked by this scene...that's what I thought!



One of my favorite shots of the trip! The most stunning and breathtaking fountain I saw. This picture is so romantic but almost haunting, and that I why I love it.





I love water lilies, one of my very favorite flowers, and they are even more beautiful in a fountain like this.

Me and my Best friend! I'm so lucky.




One of my other favorite shots of the trip. I have two favorite trees, and my most favorite is a Weeping Willow. Is there anything more moving and beautiful as a Weeping Willow near a pond? I'll explain later why it is my favorite.


We stopped in at The Boat House for breakfast. I fell in love with the Almond Pastry...delicious!

In front of the Castle, I told you this place was romantic!

Me and my Acie all bundled up!
Aimee wouldn't sit up here with me...she has a "small" fear of heights! Come on Ace, it's not that high!
I love my mom's face while she laughs, it's so cute and happy. She is like this 95% of the time!
I get my passion for travel from my Dad, he is so curious and loves learning. He has really given so much to all of his children by showing us the world, and showing us how to appreciate it, whether it is Siena, Italy or Sun River, Oregon.

We went to "Strawberry Fields", a portion of the park dedicated to the Late John Lennon. This is near where his apartment was and where he would often take walks with his wife and child before his death. Aimee happened to be wearing a Beatles shirt and so we had to document. We are huge Beatles fans, and John Lennon fans in particular- well and for that matter "Imagine" fans and "Strawberry Fields" fans...so there you go. We loved being there.


"So Happy Together..."


Loved this adorable bench, cleverly built into the fence.

I am so wild and punk rock that my hand sign actually means I love you..oh yes, very tough!
This is where they perform Shakespeare in the Park.....someday!


Shannon, is this the bridge you got engaged on? I love your story!


Speaking of punk rock...he could have taught me a thing or two! Aimee handed me her camera with a twinkle in her eye and asked if I could take a picture of her and mom and I knew EXACTLY what she was really asking!

See what I mean? It's contagious!

After a perfect morning spent in Central Park, we headed out to take a walk on the Brooklyn Bridge. It was windy and cold but totally worth it. We love the Brooklyn Bridge.


I couldn't help myself...
Sweet Aimee was terrified that we were going to fall...she was maybe a foot off the ground! The higher I got...she was just shaking her head thinking I was crazy or had a death wish. It was physically impossible for me to fall off the bridge, but that didn't help. Anyway, we got this one shot with her.

My Aimee, with her two feet planted firmly on the ground.


This is how windy it was. Told ya!




Aimee under "her Bridge". She's always had a thing for the Brooklyn Bridge.



My Mom's Mom (My Grandmother, Gail) passed away way too young in a tragic car accident when I was just a baby. Ever since then my mom and Aunt and my Grandma's best friend, Diana have been telling me story after story about her. I have latched on to those stories and actually think of her very often. They even say that I look like her. Anyway, she absolutely loved Weeping Willows and so ever since I was tiny, I feel like I grew up knowing that the most beautiful tree of all was a Weeping Willow.



Aimee, can I blow you up and put you on my wall? You are a piece of art!


Gotham City



I am not quite sure why we are posed like we are going to prom together, but I knew it while it was happening and couldn't stop it!

Sometimes you just have to skip and dance and twirl...this was one of those times!


We went to eat pizza at Grimaldi's as recommended to us by Shannon Davis and Holli Gutierrez. Perfect end to our Brooklyn Bridge experience!
The pizza was really delicious. Maybe we ordered it with extra cheese, maybe not? (But before you judge, it was fresh mozzarella, and they were pretty stingy on the mozzarella and basil if you ask me. So, with the alleged extra cheese, it would be perfect!)


Then we went back to the Hotel and quickly got ready for Mary Poppins. First, let me say that the stage and the effects were spectacular. But I might make a few enemies...we didn't really like it. Sorry, we didn't. Didn't like the way they changed the story, it just lacked the charm that movie had, I thought. But I loved the Bird Lady and her song...oh and the Dancing statues were beautiful and amazing! That's all...sorry if you loved it. We were the only four in the theatre not obsessed I think.


We had to take a picture in front of this Spiderman, shooting our webs for Micah of course!!! Can't wait for this musical to come out...especially because Bono is writing the music for it, what? Oh yeah, you heard me right! Love everything he touches!


After the show we ate at this really delicious Thai place recommended to us by Camryn, called Yum Yum Thai. The Pad Thai was really good as was the Peanut Coconut sauce. It was so funny because there was a Yum Yum Thai place on one corner, then another one on the corner right across the street and then another one about 4 shops down from that one. What? I guess it is in high demand in that one area?

Well, if you are still reading this, you must be Aimee or my mom, maybe not even my mom. Anyway, this is the end of my journaling for this day. I'll look back on this and be glad that I did it. (But there is no way I am going back and proof-reading this, sorry Aimee!)

3 comments:

Ash and Christian said...

You are CRAZY. You didn't swing on a pole, do a jig in the street, or jump in the air for ONE picture in Las Vegas. I'm beginning to wonder if I even really know you. :)

Can we go here together someday?

Bryce & Nicole said...

Sounds like so much fun! I hope to have as much fun when we go (less than 24 hours)!!! We have been planning to go to the same pizza place. Should we ask for extra cheese?

elise lauren photography said...

you guys are the BEST!! haha i enjoyed everything.

and the photo next to the guy with the animal print leggings... totally another moment of the cottage cheese belly button man. right?