Sunday, October 25, 2009

Day Two: NYC

Ace and I all bundled up and ready for our first full day in New York together. Our hotel was really fun and modern and it was the perfect location, it was called Le Parker Meridian. Yay for Starwood points!

My mom's first official subway ride in NYC. We had to document of course!

We did a lot of this...is it just me or are the subways in NYC WAY more confusing than any other city?

Oh and it was FREEZING and raining on our first day there non-stop! But that sure did not stop us from walking all over the city and having a blast!

We ate a late breakfast at the really delicious place that we just happened upon. It was called Oliva's. It had EVERYTHING you could imagine there...pastries, bagels, pizza, gyro's, salads, etc. So, we kind of thought that if you have everything usually you are not really good at anything...that was not the case here! Everything was delicious and the owner was really quirky and funny. I highly recommend it for just a quick stop and bite to eat. (This is us at Oliva's)


One of my favorite shots of the whole trip...we have fun together!

We stumbled across this beautiful fountain and park and fell in love so we had to take like 437 pictures.






Love my Acie!

We went into St. Patrick's Cathedral and I recognized this stunning statue immediately as the Pieta. I first fell in love with it when I saw the original in Vatican City in Rome. One thing the tour guide told us to notice was that Michelangelo purposely sculpted it un-proportionally to depict that Jesus as a grown man, was still Mary's child. And so she is holding him like a baby on her lap. It was so special to see it again.




Ground Zero.

In the middle of the chaos of the rebuild, flew an American flag.

This was a really beautiful and powerful symbol to me that you can always find some goodness, even in the greatest destruction, you just have to look for it.

Home of the Brave

We though this sign was funny.
(I think these pictures were taken in Battery Park or Battery City...can't remember)
It was so windy and rainy and no matter what, every umbrella that I touched would automatically flip inside out and go crazy! I can't even tell you how many times they flipped back and hit Aimee in the face, who learned quickly not to walk by me! I actually purchased an umbrella while I was there and ruined it so horribly that I had to throw it away before the trip was even over! I definitely had the magic touch!

I adore this shot of her, she looks like she is five and having the best time of her life! So cute!

I saw a lot of this the whole trip, my talented photographer sister! (Past my sister's head, you can see the Statue of Liberty)

I felt like I was going to blow away- Mary Poppins with a little less grace!

I know, I was in a mood!

We contemplated...but here is some proof that we didn't eat everything we saw. We did discriminate, however I am kind of wishing now that we went in and bought some delicious rice pudding! I should have know..live life with no regrets, right?

We walked through charming Little Italy.

And we ate lunch at the first Pizzeria ever built in the US, Lombardi's. It was so fresh and delicious!

My cute parents.

Mmmmm.

My dad loved it, good choice daddy!

There was this cool Amish Bakery and it had the funniest little sign, we couldn't help ourselves...

We nibbled!
(P.S. The best tart ever made!!! No exaggeration!)

We found this cute little bakery called Pasticceria Bruno and decided to go in a check things out, Aimee noticed that they had Guava and Passionfruit gelato. She served a mission in Brazil and every morning they would drink fresh squeezed guava and passionfruit juice. She has been missing it ever since. So, we asked to try it and seriously, the best gelato I have EVER had in my entire life! Nothing I have ever tried even in Italy came close! So, even in the 32 degree weather and the pouring rain, we enjoyed every last bite! (However, my mom tried a cookie there and it wasn't good, she threw it out...and she never likes to have to throw away a cookie! Just a warning).

Aimee was so excited that she started twirling around in the rain! She misses her Brazil, but she got a little taste of it and couldn't have been happier! She actually almost cried because for a moment she was back.


One of the places that I really wanted to see was Washington Square Park. And it was beautiful, even in the rain! We loved it and can't wait to go back and just hang out around there, preferably when there is not a torrential downpour.

"And I know that I will ...triumph!" (A quote from one of our favorite movies, French Kiss) Aimee and I always wanted to take this picture together in front of the Arc de Triomphe in Paris, but this will have to do!

It was so fun to see how cute my mom and dad were on this trip together! I love these pictures! My dad wanted to show her everything for her first trip to New York. 31 years and counting!






Me and my beautiful mom. She is so stunning!

Isn't she gorgeous? I love this shot of her! She couldn't be any more adorable! We had so much fun together. I am so glad that she planned this little trip.

Aimee and I love Love. And we have always wanted to see this cute piece of work, so it was fun when we ran into it.
This one's for you Mitchy...(If you ever even read this blog)


Before going to see a show, we went to this adorable little French restaurant called
Le Bon Soupe. The food was so authentic and delicious! If you are ever there, you must check it out! Must order a.)French Onion Soup and b.) the quiche. Trust me! "Out of this World" as my mom would say!

We went to the In The Heights Musical and it was easily one of the best musicals I have ever seen! It was so fun and the singing and dancing were insane! Lots of hip hop and a little salsa! It was so much fun.

This is what happens when friends get together and run around NYC...we can't help ourselves! No apologies though, we'll do it again I am sure, next time! One of Aimee's very best friends and a close family friend of all of ours, Camryn, lives in the city and met up with us after the show. We had a sleepover that night at our hotel. We have fun together, can you tell? (Aimee's pose is an inside joke...yeah Ace.)
Our timing was a bit off...I'm up on this one
We're all almost there on this one. P.S. That is a blur, my boot is not that pointy! And I am also not 9 months pregnant.
This one's for Camryn...oh and Aimee is almost there! I'm am clearly still in the prep stage.


We ended the night at Junior's, where they have the best Devil's Food Cheesecake EVER! It is half Chocolate Devil's Food Cake and half original cheesecake...it was HEAVEN!!! Aimee and Camryn liked the Red Velvet cake, but I was all about the Devil's Food. (This place was Camryn's choice as well as a recommendation from my great friend and fellow foodie, Ashley, who never leads me astray! Thanks girls!)

8 comments:

Danielle said...

I love your photos of New York! You are very talented, and all could become wonderful postcards.
I also love reading all your explanations and comments, you could write a book. Your parents look so kind, it's such a pleasure to see happy and so smiling people. Lots of love from Aix en Provence (you saw me only once, in 2007, when I was with Tiff and her parents at Disneyland, in case you remember me).

McGraths said...

What a fun time! Can't wait to see more.

Holli said...

Linds, that is so funny about your NY umbrella...When I went in May it was super rainy too and I'm almost positive I bought the same umbrella, and also had to trash it before coming home! What is with NY and rain?? I guess it's better than freezing cold and snow though. Looks like a fun trip!

Aubrey Messick said...

i LOVE ny and I LOVE all your pics...especially the umbrella ones. :)

Kjerstin said...

Linds! How FUN that you got to do this amazing trip! I Love all of the pics and captions, especially the jumping pic w and your sis! I love u, I love Hawaii, and I LOVE March 2010!!!!! ;) :) :)

Paul and Deborah Speed said...

I'm so jelaous. I miss NYC soooo bad! I wish I would've talked to you before you left so I could have sent you to all of my favorite little spots. Miss you! Are you going to be at Dave and Steph's baby blessing next week?

elise lauren photography said...

gosh all these make me want to go to NYC !!! all the photos are full of life. i especially LOVE the ones of your parents kissing under their umbrella!!!!

Melly Mel said...

all these pictures make me feel like i was with you. you are adorable and you are rocking those bangs.

i agree with elise... bill and gg look adorable with those pictures kissing...

love you!