Saturday, February 6, 2010

Thailand & Cambodia: Day 5

In Chiang Mai, I took a Thai cooking class, it was really fun! We began at the market and then moved to a cute little wooden outdoor kitchen. I cooked and Mitchy came with me and read and when the time came...he ate. It was really fun to learn all about the thai ingredients and to cook outside with other people learning along with you. It was a really cool experience! Plus, I love thai food and so that was great to explore those types of flavors that I am not quite as familiar with. Pictured above is my teacher.
This is the wooden school. We sat on the floor and ate our finished dishes.


Check out the knife...not bad! My teacher was really cute, she paid extra special attention to me to make sure that I was taken care of because I was the only vegetarian there, so she changed all my recipes so they were vegetarian and kept talking about me and helping me the whole time. It was cute.

I made green and red curry paste from scratch, a green curry vegetable dish, pad thai, a coconut vegetable soup, and spring rolls. Those recipes will go up on my recipe blog as soon as I get a few minutes to do that.


We went to this restaurant for dinner two nights in a row because it was so delicious and areally charming and peaceful restaurant. One of our favorite things about the restaurants were the young green coconuts that we always started our dining experience off with. It was a green coconut with the coconut juice inside and you would drink the juice and scrape out the soft coconut meat from the inside. It was so refreshing and delicious.
See, isn't it charming?


Afterward, Mitch went to the fish spa and had these tiny little fish clean his feet by sucking off the little pieces of dead skin. So crazy! As soon as Mitch put his legs in this women had to lay across him and hold his legs down because he would have the urge to pull his legs out right away and that would kill the fish. You see, the fish have electric currents running through them and every time they touch you they send a tiny shock throughout your body. At first, Mitch said that it feels really weird and almost hurts a little, but then after a few minutes it is almost numbing and really relaxing. However, I didn't do it because I think it looks crazy and just really bazaar!
Look at his face, it cracks me up, he was freaking out!!!


Now this is when it started feeling good and he was just calm as can be.

Seriously, so nasty! However, Mitch said that his feet felt much smoother afterwards and I have to admit, they did look a little better.

3 comments:

lacyboo said...

oh my goodness lins! that looks sooo crazy! isnt it amazing how open-minded you have to be when you visit other countries? something you would probbly never do again but is such a once in a lifetime experience. so fun!

Elise said...

what the heck! mitch actually did that? wasn't he worried about other people's dead feet skin??? HAHA! crazy!

Tiff Rueckert said...

ewww! My body feels squirmish just thinking about those little fish! That is my worst nightmare...I don't even like the ocean because I think something might touch me!
It looks like you guys had SO much fun!